Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Mark 3:31-35

Mark 3:31-35 –
‘Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.”
“‘Who are my mother and my bothers?” he asked. Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.’”


These couple verses resonated with me for a few reasons. The first of which, is that since I’ve been studying the concept of working together as the body of Christ (and all its implications), this certainly aligns with that. The rest sort of disseminates from there.

I came across this while reading through Mark because I love the simplicity and candor in God’s call to his disciples. ‘As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Aphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.’ –Mark 2:14.

While just as much of our life involves us personally picking up our cross to follow Jesus, I think that the same directness applies when we consider that that particular call does not mean we seclude ourselves from everyone else. Too often I fall into the convention of believing that other Christians don’t exist in the world outside my house or church. The key is becoming cognizant, that beyond those walls (be it metaphorical or physical), we need extend our limits and be willing to fellowship with everyone who makes up the body. This principle is so lucidly displayed as Jesus refutes his disciple’s statements, claiming that as followers of Christ we are all brothers and sisters.

God has designed our journey with him to be both personal and corporate. His Word encourages us to regularly be engaging and strengthening each other through our company and as followers of God’s will.

No comments: