Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On Watching the Watchmen

...which technically answers the 'Who Watches The Watchmen?' question right?

So yeah, went to see Watchmen on Saturday with Noah and my sister. Leading up to it, and including opening night(which was Friday) I was hearing reviews. These reviews didn't seem too pleasing. In fact, they trashed the movie, calling it terrible. Well after it being such a great book I was disappointed by all the negativity surrounding the movie. Nevertheless, I had to see it for myself, and I have this to say:

What the heck were all those bad reviews about!? The movie was great. So often when novels are made into movie, there's so many liberties taken that by the time the end product is reached, the movie has hardly any semblance of its prior form. Watchmen followed the book very closely. Dialogue was piece by piece from the novel, even camera angles were almost exact. I don't understand where the issue of a 'terrible movie' arose other than this: Either the reviewers and average movie goers alike didn't read the movie. Thus because the story is complex they weren't able to fully comprehend it. Or, they still didn't read the book, and went into the movie thinking it was a run-of-the-mill, cookie cutter "Super Hero" movie. Which in reality, Watchmen is the antithesis of that!

I had only one and half criticisms about the movie. 1) The sex scene with Nite Owl and Silk Spectre was so incredibly... excessive. There are plenty of ways to imply that a certain act has occurred(like the book did) without making a two minute display of it. Ironically, much of the theme Watchmen is built upon is America's fascination with sex and immorality... and that scene proved it! ::Sigh:: So that definitely tainted it. 2) And this really isn't much a criticism, but they didn't include 'The Black Freighter' side story. Really, this would have been impossible and the movie was already almost three hours, adding that would be impossible. Plus, they're releasing it separately so I'm thrilled about that.

Final thoughts? I liked the movie. Was the book 10x better? Yes it was. There was so much more dark humor in the book that wasn't included or not understood by the audiences in the movie. There were definitely some other scenes that were left out, which is logical, but they didn't add much in, so I commend them for that. All in all, if I can purchase the 'clean' version as it relates to the aforementioned scene, it would be worth... watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im glad to hear it was good. I was on the fence about going to see it. I hadnt read the book (graphic novel I should say) so I would have nothing to base it upon.